A Travellerspoint blog

Golden Week 2008 - Okinawa IV

The return to Naha - Onna to Naha

View Golden Week 2008 on agc_cwm's travel map.

We got up a little later, around 8:30, ate, packed, checked out and hit the road on our way back to Naha. We decided to do some touristy stuff and stuff regarding WWII, so we plugged the Underground Naval Base into our Navi and headed out on the highway. About an hour later we missed the turn off for the Naval Base, but, of course, our Navi didn't tell us the new route to go, and instead of resorting to maps to get us there, we decided to follow the signs and go somewhere else. We followed the signs for another 45 minutes to the Okinawa Prefectural Peace Memorial Museum.

When we arrived, there were a lot of students relaxing and playing in the park, on a class trip I suppose. We were also offered some flowers that we could buy and place on the graves, but we decided not to. We went in the museum, which focussed mainly on the battle for Okinawa and the resultant occupation had on the Okinawan people. The battle lasted about 90 days and the Okinawan people referred to the American attack as the "Typhoon of Steel". Basically everything was destroyed and people were forced to hide in caves and for some people, forced to commit mass suicide by the Japanese army. There is also a cemetery on site that is kind of controversial because they buried Americans, Japanese, Okinawan, anyone that was involved in the battle.

IMG_4765.jpg IMG_4775.jpg IMG_4744.jpg

We finished up at the museum, and ate some more ice cream. Courtney had the sugar cane ice cream, and it was very reminiscent of Grampy Mac's maple walnut. We then went on our way to find something less depressing: swimming! We drove to a small island down the road which had a couple beaches. We stopped at one, I got out and took a quick dip. It was nice and refreshing. I got out and we sat in the sun for a bit so I could dry off, then we drove back down to the Family Mart and I got changed.


It was around 2:00 so we thought we should go back to Naha and check in to the Okinawa Oriental Hotel. It was cheap, but it looked like it was built in the 70's and never updated. But, it had everything that we needed from a hotel. We got check in then headed up to Kokusai-dori for some tacos. They usually deep fry the shell, which makes them even better. We wandered the street and then went back to the hotel for a bit. Around 6:00 pm we started to walk to the nearby beach to see the sunset. We walked through a few parks, past a baseball practice and along a street, but we didn't quite get there. We ended up on a bridge that was in front of the the beach, but we still got a good view of the sunset.


Once the sun went down we got a cab back up to Kokusai-dori to hunt for a restaurant. We passed on Cowboy's Steakhouse and went to 88 Steakhouse simply because there were more Japanese people at 88 Steakhouse. There were also signs inside that said it is an establishment approved by the military. I got a nice steak for not a ridiculous price and Courtney got fish soup. It turned out to be a lot more food than she expected. She expected just a bowl of soup; instead she got a bowl of rice, vegetables and a large bowl of soup complete with a full fish (head and all).

IMG_0074.jpg IMG_0076.jpg

After the meal we called it a night.

Posted by agc_cwm 10:57 Archived in Japan

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.