A Travellerspoint blog

Winter Vacation - Siem Reap, Cambodia 2007/01/05

Butterflies and goodbyes

View Winter Vacation 2006 on agc_cwm's travel map.

On our last day in Siem Reap, we settled into a very relaxed pace, getting up late and going to browse the Old Market for souvenirs. We took some pictures along the way.

IMG_2091.jpg IMG_2092.jpg

We bought some silk paintings, a couple of shirts, a scarf and a pin. We were there about an hour before deciding to find some lunch at the Butterflies Garden Restaurant. It was really relaxing. All the butterflies are provided by local children, and in return their community is given financial support. There are also literacy and education programs being established in the communities as a part of the system. We decided it would be good to support this cause.

IMG_2094.jpg IMG_2103.jpg IMG_2358.jpg IMG_2359.jpg IMG_2364.jpg IMG_2374.jpg IMG_2376.jpg IMG_2378.jpg IMG_2379.jpg IMG_2382.jpg

In the garden, we found a table and sat down. There were butterflies everywhere, and when our food came they kept landing on it. It was pretty funny. There were also lizards all over the place in the garden, and we watched one as it stalked and caught a butterfly. Yum. After we finished our meal, we walked to get some dessert (yum... coconut flan), and headed in the direction of our hotel. Just as we were heading toward the hotel, Vut (our tuk-tuk driver), pulled over and offered us a ride. We said we were okay for now, but he offered to take us to the airport later in the day, and it would be cheaper because he liked us so much. How could we say no?

When we got back to the hotel, we cancelled our pre-arranged ride, which the hotel wasn't too happy about, and went upstairs to pack.


We brought our bags downstairs, settled the bill for the crappy room, and got in the tuk-tuk to go to the airport. We were sad saying goodbye to Vut, and said we'd try to find him again when we returned. And we meant it.

When we arrived at the airport, we saw a sight we had yet to behold anywhere in Asia: DQ. We checked in and made an executive decision that we each needed a Blizzard. Yummo.

After the ice-creamy goodness, we waited for our flight to Saigon. As we were sitting next to the bookshop, we saw a lady running on the spot browsing the books; working on her fitness, we guessed. Credit goes to her though for making the most of her waiting time; I sat on my behind and did a crossword.

Our short flight was uneventful. We arrived back in Saigon, changed our money (and got some strange looks in the process), and went back to our hotel. It was strange to be back.

We discovered when we checked in that the staff at the hotel had given us an upgrade, for free. It pays to be nice, I guess. Our room had a sauna and hottub out on the balcony. We dropped our bags and went down for supper. We ate and went back up to the room. We tried to fill the hottub, but we ran out of hot water and patience with the low water pressure (the latter ran out before the former). We felt a little defeated, so we went to sleep, with the assurance that by the next night, we would be in the Philippines.

Posted by agc_cwm 04:02 Archived in Cambodia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.