A Travellerspoint blog

Summer 2007 - Malaysia XV

Leaving Sabah

-17 °C
View Summer Vacation 2007 on agc_cwm's travel map.

We woke up around 6:00 for our departure at 7:00. we had breakfast and got on the boat, leaving Selingaan in our wake.

IMG_3583.jpg IMG_3584.jpg IMG_3588.jpg IMG_3589.jpg IMG_3594.jpg

The boat ride back was pretty calm and not too hot; just the way we like it.

IMG_3599.jpg IMG_3601.jpg IMG_3609.jpg IMG_3611.jpg

When we got back, there were a cople of taxis waiting for people. We got in a taxi and asked him if he know of a place we could leave our packs, because we didn't want to lug them around all day. He took us to the Sabah Hotel and it was no problem for us to leave them there for the day. Grateful for that, our next destination was a clinic to get more medication for Andrew's ear. We paid a visit to Dr. Raja, but we had to wait for a little while before he arrived. Andrew was the first patient of the day. He went in to see the good doctor, and the doctor took on look at his ear and said "Oh no. That's not good. Oh s*%t." We thought this was pretty funny. He was prescribed more pills and we were on our way. The staff at the clinic called our driver for us, and he took us down to the market, and we made arrangements for him to pick us up at the hotel at 14:30.

This market was cleaner than the one we went to in Ho Chi Minh City, but it had that same old market smell. We looked at all the fresh produce and the ridiculous fresh fish. More types of fish for sale than you'd ever see at a grocery store. We saw a cat wandering around; no better place to be a cat, I think. I also had some success in my quest for spices. I bought some turmeric, coriander seed, cinnamon sticks, star anise, nutmeg, and some tamarind. There were a few youngsters following us around, and they looked like trouble, so Andrew kept a vigilant eye on them while I shopped. We left the market and went to a nearby souvenir shop. I scouted a few things I wanted to buy, and then we went to the nearby 'mall', which was really a lot like small-scale Walmart, on multiple floors. We poked around looking for a novel for Andrew, but we had no luck there, so we just bought snacks. And by snacks, I mean chocolate and root beer (you can't get root beer in Japan, so I was stoked). We finished up there and went to find an internet cafe. We had a little trouble with that, so we stopped instead to have some lunch. The restaurant had a staggering array of dishes. I settled on a clay pot lamb dish, and Andrew had some type of noodle. We decided against ordering this one, though:


After an incredibly satisfying lunch, we had to exchange some money. Luckily on our way to do that, we found an internet cafe. We internetted for a little while, listening to the same crappy song at the cafe over and over and over again (I think the final count was 7). We then went back to the souvenir shop where I picked up a field guide to mammals of Borneo and some postcards. We caught a cab out to the hotel to get our bags and wait for our other driver. He showed up shortly thereafter, and we were on our way to the airport. We read a newspaper before checking in to our flight. We made sure we were one of the first through security because there appeared to be a lot of people who opted for the express boarding option on this flight. I was not giving up my seat at the front of the plane. As soon as they allowed us through the the doors, I was off. We ended up in the front again.We had intended to get some sleep on the plane, but there was a chatty lady sitting next to us, so we chin-wagged with her a bit about Malaysia and other stuff until we arrived in KL. We quickly got off the plane and grabbed our bags. Then we boarded the shuttle to the main terminal building. When we got to the main terminal, we saw that our flight was delayed, but it didn't say for how long, and they weren't checking people in yet. We went to get some food and then Andrew went shopping for novels and I scouted a shower before we got in line to check in. We were waiting a long time in line, and getting more frustrated. Thirty minutes passed and they had only checked in three people. When we reached the front, we realized the problem: our 00:50 departure time was now 04:30. Oh, we were too tired to really care, but we did try to sort some things out, as we were definitely going to miss our connection to Osaka. They told us to find the ground crew when we got to Beijing and they could tell us what to do. So we trusted that, checked our bags in, got our meal voucher for Burger King (because I really want to eat BK at midnight...some compensation), and went off to find the airport hotel. We decided RM160 for a few hours of sleep in a bed and a shower was a good investment in our sanity. We got to our room and crashed, waiting for the 03:30 wake up call we arranged.

Posted by agc_cwm 05:54 Archived in Malaysia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.